The Difference Between Traveling and Travelling Abroad


The Difference Between Traveling and Travelling Abroad

Travelling is simply the movement of individuals between different geographical locations. Travelling can usually be done by walking, car, bike, foot or any other mode of transport, with or without baggage, and is either one way or round trip in length. Common forms of transport include air, sea and land transportation. Most people have used public means of transport to travel to work, school, the mall and other local destinations. There are also a wide range of private means of transport available, including cars, bikes and even motorized wheelchairs. In fact, if you do not have the luxury of a private means of transport, travelling is almost impossible.

For those that are used to reading text and writing in English, travelling may seem an easy task. The rules are quite different when you are travelling to Canada or the United States. While both countries have a similar penal code regarding discrimination, there are a few differences when it comes to the use of the two words “traffic” and” railways.” The preferred spelling for the United States is “traffic” while traffic in Canada and most other countries is usually spelled as “toll.”

As is evident from the spelling, there are variations in British spelling for most words that appear in the Canadian dictionary. Even words that do not appear to have a spelling that suits the Canadian dictionary are commonly spelled differently when spoken in America. This, of course, does not mean that all terms have different meanings, just that they are spoken differently. When travelling, the differences between British and American spellings are especially important. Here is a list of the most common variations in British spelling of common terms that Americans commonly use:

o Travelling between borders is called crossing. In British English, this term is often spelled as “tramping” or “trampolining.” In Canada, however, this spelling is more common, particularly in urban slang. o Freightage is a term used for moving goods between countries. This term, too, can be misspelled as “freight” or “fray.”

o A train is not a train; it is a railroad train. When travelling between countries, there is a tendency to prefer the spelling with an “s” sound because in British English “train” is spelled as “trencher.” When one states that they are travelling by train, they are usually referring to the type of train (i.e., British railway) and not to a particular route.

So, it would seem that the correct spelling of the words that are commonly mispronounced in the United States and in Canada, is “fare” (the spelling used in the United States) or “railroad” (in British English). There is no reason why travellers in the United States should follow the British spellings when travelling between the United States and Canada. It just seems weird. When Travelling Abroad, Spelling is important; especially when you are travelling back home to Canada. But when you are travelling over the USA, Canada and / or the United Kingdom, you will probably not have any concerns about your choice of spelling. But when returning to Canada, you might wish to practice checking out spellings online before heading back to the States.